Fashion Dos and Don'ts
Basic Fashion Rules
- Don't pull up your stockings in public.
- Do wear color near your face.
- Do soften the hard lines of a suit with a lace top underneath.
- Don't wear sweaters so long that they make you look short.
- Cropped pants can make you look shorter.
- Do wear a hip slip or minimizer under tight clothes.
- Do have a stash of basics on hand: T-shirts, leggings, black socks and tights.
- Patterned leggings can make legs look heavier.
- Monochromatic outfits are one of the best slimming secrets there is.
- Don't over accessorize.
Lies, Lies, Lies
- Nice girls don't wear white after Labor Day.
- You shouldn't wear suede shoes in summer or patent leather in winter.
- Handbags have to match your outfit.
- Black is boring.
- If you wear two pieces that are both navy, the colors have to match (It's all but impossible.)
Elements of Style
- Try something that's "not you" once in a while.
- Adapt trends so that they work for you--and adapt is the key word here. A plaid minikilt isn't for everyone, for example. But if you love the look, try a longer plaid skirt.
- Hold on to a few of your favorite outdated pieces. You never know!
- Add a couple of stylish, inexpensive things to your wardrobe each season.
- Force yourself to wear something for somebody else.
- Don't Dress like a teenager.
- Don't Mix two seasons in one outfit.
- Wear really casual shorts or beach sandals on dress-down Fridays.